Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Topcoating the firewall

Austin and I spent a couple of hours this afternoon during his Christmas break doing some odds and ends. He's a real trooper 'cause this kind of stuff is boring for a kid his age. I handed him some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and had him topcoat the firewall and underdash area that I had previously treated with a rust converter (for mild surface rust). This will seal it and give it a uniform appearace. We're still cleaning paint out of Austin's hair.


Austin applies Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
 Meanwhile, I removed the e-brake assembly and cable, finished the resto on the AM Radio, and repaired some broken plastic tabs on a couple of the dash bezels.

AM radio ready to go back in
To repair the plastic tabs I'm trying a product I hadn't used before called, Rapid Fix. It's basically a super glue with a powder filler. It works very fast and seems to create a strong repair. We'll see how it holds up but so far I'm favorably impressed. It's similar to another product called Plasti-Fix which I used on my Duster project. I can't say yet which one I like better. You can get a better than website price on the Rapid Fix by shopping around.

In this case I created a dam with tape and then began alternately applying powder and glue to build it up. After it cured I was able to easily grind it to the shape I wanted with a 2" Roloc disc.

Rapid Fix before grinding/shaping

No comments:

Post a Comment